Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What Do I Do and Why Do I Do It?

At a recent show, I was asked by the band's manager why I take pictures and write about music? What's in it for me? I knew the answer was not that simple and I still needed to make a few connections before the band broke down. I said, "It's just a hobby," and left it at that.

It's a good question. Let me take this opportunity to provide a better answer.

I am not a professional musician, musicologist, or journalist. However, I have seen close to 300 acts in over 500 plus shows and the numbers keep mounting. I have followed some of my favorite big named bands during their tours and traveled around the country to regional festivals.  It's not a matter of partying with the band or my friends, I don't party and I'm no groupie. I just have insatiable appetite for live music.

Times have changed, though, haven't they? Not only is it impossible for me to fly all over the country to spend a $1,000 per weekend to get my live music on, but it's also getting more difficult for independent bands to tour as well.

As I started venturing out to the local clubs, festivals, and house concerts, I discovered  a treasure chest full of unknown (to me) artists. I also discovered that I enjoyed the intimacy of the performances, sharing a conversation with the artist, their fans or family while in the comfort and convenience of a smaller venue. I was hooked.

Not only has my live music experience improved since defecting from the Super Venue LiveNation nation, but I found more value for my limited concert dollars. More dollar value, a better live music experience, the discovery of new artists, and my southern evangelical tendencies require me to SHARE THE GOOD NEWS with others. That's all.

I pay to watch your shows and buy your merch, so chill. Just sharing the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment